Sorry that this email didn't send properly last week! Didn't mean to worry you!
Tuesday, September 25, 2012
3:00PM
Hello hello!
So sorry about not sending an email yesterday. It was Scotland's Bank Holiday so everything is closed so they told us we would have to email today and we don't have very much time so I will have to type like a maniac.
I got the package!!! Thank you so much! I was so so giddy! One of the pictures attached is of the day I got it. I was so happy :) And so shocked you were able to get me a mini preach my gospel?! What on earth? I thought they were on back order? At District Meeting today, you had everyone drooling over my pocket sized Preach My Gospel. They want me to ask you how you were able to get it? I'm not surprised you were able to. Thank you so much Dad & Robyn!!
It's been a crazy week! But I'm sure I could be saying that at the beginning of all of my emails haha. You know missionary work is hard when I find myself enjoying cleaning the flat and doing wash/ironing/etc. Haha. It's so calming. But I'm loving the work out here. We are having so many great experiences and meeting some really great people.
So in response to most of your questions, yes, it is getting cold here. SO cold. And everyone keeps saying that winter hasn't hit yet and I keep wondering how it could be humanly possible to be any colder!! Haha but tights and boots and scarfs are becoming my best friends. I was able to get a coat last week that this really sweet couple paid for me, but I just found out that it's not totally water proof so I don't know if it will last me. I may have to go out shopping again!
But anyways, the Scottish people are seriously my favorite. It's never a dull moment with them. They are full of character and most of the time we are finding ourselves trying to pry ourselves away from appointments because they LOVE to chat. It's really difficult to get people to listen to us in the streets, but we find our ways. What I like to do is when we're on the bus or standing around at places, I will just start talking to people casually and 99% of the time, within a minute, they will ask me if I am over here on holiday (vacation) because they hear my accent. Then I've got them and I can get into the gospel. Or, if I talk casually with them for a little bit, then they will ask me about my badge and what religion I am, and then because THEY were the ones that asked, they always listen to what I have to say, because they probably feel obligated since they were the ones that brought it up. Haha. I just find it to be more successful when I talk to people casually before getting into the gospel. Obviously it doesn't work in every situation, like when we're chapping on doors or street contacting, but that's what I like to do. Sometimes people will say things like, 'Ya know Darlin', you're actually a pretty normal person' . I've gotten that a few times just by chatting with people first. Haha. I think it's good for them to see that we are just like everyone else! We just have a message to share with them! (By the way- I get called Darlin'/ Lassie/ Love by men and women of all ages haha it's funny. Darlin' is what it is most of the time.
Another thing we like to do is go finding by the harbor side, because we have found that people who are there usually go there to think and ponder. We call them harbor side ponderers, so we like to go there and talk to those people about God's plan for them and the purpose of life and we get success that way because usually they look deep in thought anyways and are more willing to listen. We have to get creative out here. Haha.
I really like Irvine (pronounced Er-vin) a lot! During the day anyways. After dark, it's a pretty shady place. But I guess most places are! I actually just found out that Irvine has just reopened for sisters to cover. It's been closed to sisters for several years because of how dangerous it can get. But I'm pretty sure they will allow it to continue to stay open because we haven't had any really serious problems. We do deal with drunk men and harassing teenagers, but I'm sure all of the areas of the world have that after dark! So my guess is that they will continue to allow sisters to come out here. I like it a lot.
So the work is coming along. We have a few potentials in the works that we're excited about. Yvonne is going through some struggles right now. Dad told me to be aware that Satan will plant a seed of doubt in people's minds as they prepare for baptism and we are definitely experiencing that right now. We're going by to see her on her birthday this week and get a feel for what's happening and how she's feeling. I'll keep you updated. We've changed her baptism date to October 14th.
It's amazing how much I have come to love these people in such a short amount of time. They have such hard things happen in their lives and I find myself constantly thinking about them throughout the day. I'm so grateful for the gospel that we have and the peace it brings in our lives. I want so badly for these people to understand the doctrines of the gospel so they can see how it will better their lives. They are great people out here.
Sorry, we need to run to an appointment so I need to go, but I'm doing well!
Have a good week! Love you all!
Sister Knab
Tiff mentioned pictures in this email, but there were no pictures attached to her email
3:00PM
Hello hello!
So sorry about not sending an email yesterday. It was Scotland's Bank Holiday so everything is closed so they told us we would have to email today and we don't have very much time so I will have to type like a maniac.
I got the package!!! Thank you so much! I was so so giddy! One of the pictures attached is of the day I got it. I was so happy :) And so shocked you were able to get me a mini preach my gospel?! What on earth? I thought they were on back order? At District Meeting today, you had everyone drooling over my pocket sized Preach My Gospel. They want me to ask you how you were able to get it? I'm not surprised you were able to. Thank you so much Dad & Robyn!!
It's been a crazy week! But I'm sure I could be saying that at the beginning of all of my emails haha. You know missionary work is hard when I find myself enjoying cleaning the flat and doing wash/ironing/etc. Haha. It's so calming. But I'm loving the work out here. We are having so many great experiences and meeting some really great people.
So in response to most of your questions, yes, it is getting cold here. SO cold. And everyone keeps saying that winter hasn't hit yet and I keep wondering how it could be humanly possible to be any colder!! Haha but tights and boots and scarfs are becoming my best friends. I was able to get a coat last week that this really sweet couple paid for me, but I just found out that it's not totally water proof so I don't know if it will last me. I may have to go out shopping again!
But anyways, the Scottish people are seriously my favorite. It's never a dull moment with them. They are full of character and most of the time we are finding ourselves trying to pry ourselves away from appointments because they LOVE to chat. It's really difficult to get people to listen to us in the streets, but we find our ways. What I like to do is when we're on the bus or standing around at places, I will just start talking to people casually and 99% of the time, within a minute, they will ask me if I am over here on holiday (vacation) because they hear my accent. Then I've got them and I can get into the gospel. Or, if I talk casually with them for a little bit, then they will ask me about my badge and what religion I am, and then because THEY were the ones that asked, they always listen to what I have to say, because they probably feel obligated since they were the ones that brought it up. Haha. I just find it to be more successful when I talk to people casually before getting into the gospel. Obviously it doesn't work in every situation, like when we're chapping on doors or street contacting, but that's what I like to do. Sometimes people will say things like, 'Ya know Darlin', you're actually a pretty normal person' . I've gotten that a few times just by chatting with people first. Haha. I think it's good for them to see that we are just like everyone else! We just have a message to share with them! (By the way- I get called Darlin'/ Lassie/ Love by men and women of all ages haha it's funny. Darlin' is what it is most of the time.
Another thing we like to do is go finding by the harbor side, because we have found that people who are there usually go there to think and ponder. We call them harbor side ponderers, so we like to go there and talk to those people about God's plan for them and the purpose of life and we get success that way because usually they look deep in thought anyways and are more willing to listen. We have to get creative out here. Haha.
I really like Irvine (pronounced Er-vin) a lot! During the day anyways. After dark, it's a pretty shady place. But I guess most places are! I actually just found out that Irvine has just reopened for sisters to cover. It's been closed to sisters for several years because of how dangerous it can get. But I'm pretty sure they will allow it to continue to stay open because we haven't had any really serious problems. We do deal with drunk men and harassing teenagers, but I'm sure all of the areas of the world have that after dark! So my guess is that they will continue to allow sisters to come out here. I like it a lot.
So the work is coming along. We have a few potentials in the works that we're excited about. Yvonne is going through some struggles right now. Dad told me to be aware that Satan will plant a seed of doubt in people's minds as they prepare for baptism and we are definitely experiencing that right now. We're going by to see her on her birthday this week and get a feel for what's happening and how she's feeling. I'll keep you updated. We've changed her baptism date to October 14th.
It's amazing how much I have come to love these people in such a short amount of time. They have such hard things happen in their lives and I find myself constantly thinking about them throughout the day. I'm so grateful for the gospel that we have and the peace it brings in our lives. I want so badly for these people to understand the doctrines of the gospel so they can see how it will better their lives. They are great people out here.
Sorry, we need to run to an appointment so I need to go, but I'm doing well!
Have a good week! Love you all!
Sister Knab
Tiff mentioned pictures in this email, but there were no pictures attached to her email
No comments:
Post a Comment