Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Girls can leave at 19 now?!?

Monday, October 8, 2012
Well, I am still in shock from President Monson's annoucement on Saturday about the new ages of missionaries! 19 years old for girls and 18 years old for boys! How exciting! I can't decide if I am more excited or ticked off, though. I can't believe I JUST MISSED the new change by a couple of years! I would've loved to have gone at 19 and been home by 20 1/2. Haha. Oh well. If it was part of God's plan for me to go at 19, it would've happened. But this new change will bring about a lot of good! I am really excited about it. It's really going to increase the amount of missionaries coming out- especially girls. So many girls will be coming out now with the age drop. I just picture this flood of girls coming out and I get so excited! I need more girls and boys out here badly. Being out here has really shown me how much work there is to do. In the MTC, we learned that the world population is at 7 billion, with 56,000 missionaries, so that comes to 125,000 peopel needing conversion per missionary. There is quite a bit of work to do! I'm excited for the influx of sister missionaries we will be having, and it will be good for boys to get out here at 18, instead of waiting that awkward year until 19. It's all around a really good thing. Exciting stuff!
Wasn't conference amazing? I didn't get to watch Sunday PM, but we got to watch everything else. I love conference so much becuase I always come away feeling like a new person with new resolutions on things I want to improve on. Overall, a theme that kept striking me was all of the talks about how we need to be feeding the Lord's sheep and showing Christ we love Him by our actions in helping others and how many people there are in the world who are in need of the gospel and being anxiously engaged. Like in M. Russell Ballard's talk when he said we are like bees in a beehive 'Great things are brought about by many hands that are anxiously engaged in a good cause.' All of that combined with a new age of missioanries is making for an exciting time! I can feel the vibes! I know that the Lord loves all of this children and desires for all of his children to have the chance to return to live with Him by receving the ordinances of the gospel and so it's so great to see the efforts in sending out more girls and boys to preach the good news to everyone!
Okay, as for my week- it was a good one. We taught Jon the Plan of Salvation in a member's home and it went so well! The spirit was strong and he really enjoyed hearing about God's plan for us and how it will work in the next life. He is reading more on mormon.org and he said he had watched a 'mormon seminar' last week. Turns out he had watched the Relief Soceity Broadcast. Haha. Good for him! We are meeting with him again today. We're hoping he was able to tune in to conference because what better way to feel of the spirit than to listen to the prophet himself! I'll keep you posted. He was really blown away at how kind Sister Shannon was for letting us come in her home. He said he doesn't see civility like that anymore. I told him how in the church, we take care of each other like we are one big family- because we are. We love each other and serve each other. That is one thing that seems to first draw people's attention to the church is the friendliness and kindess and it makes them want to learn more about us and then they can come to know the truthfulness of the gospel for themselves. It's all so good.
One fun thing that happened last week- we were walking along and 2 younger guys came and asked us where the nearest key store is. We told them and then they asked 'Are you twos Mormon by chance?' and we said yes and Sister T. asked 'Sooo was it our name tags or longer skirts that gave that away?' and one of them replied 'Eh, actually our boss is Mormon and you two have the same kind of brightness about you that he has, so we were just wondering if you were Mormons too.' ... Isn't that amazing! It might not seem like it to us, but we all of that brightness and I know we can be examples to others in bringing them to the truth.
Transfers are happening right now. A lot of change is happening within the zone, but Sister T. and I are staying the same, and in the same area. Clearly we are supposed to be here, so we're aiming to find out why it is that we are needed in this town still. It's amazing how all of the call moves are done by inspiration to President Brown. I'm happy to be staying though, I love the people here and i would've been sad to leave them!! We have a new ward mission leader too- he's young! He just got off his mission a month ago so that will be different. I've never heard of that, but it should be good. He still has the mission fire and has a lot of experience so it will help.
I love you all! Hope you have a good week!
Love,
Sister Knab
 
PS- I will send the requested birthday list and package sending instructions in my next email! I can't believe my birthday is in a month.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment